Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ranting

This will be a three-parter. Not because of length, or even depth, but simply to amuse me with the near pun.

I, as some of you may have noticed, tend to rant. I don't piss and moan, wine and complain, or bitch and groan. I rant.

What's the difference?

Well, all the fit-pitching I do (or at least a good portion of it) has a point. I'm not vapidly griping about my shoes, the poor choices of the latest celebs, or the fact that I don't get the Science channel in HD when I'm clearly paying for it. I gripe about real shit that really matters in real life.

So why is it a rant?

What makes something a rant, as opposed to a litany of complaints, is cohesion. Speaking at length on one topic passionately, and sometimes, yes, angrily.

If I simply wanted to complain, there's Twitter (where, BTW, you can follow me @Evil_Mofo if you aren't already). This is a forum for me to blow off steam without getting myself incarcerated.

Trust me, there's plenty to be angry about, but there's plenty more that in the big picture, is quite irrelevant.

When we are on the brink of another war, a massive portion of our citizens still don't have equal rights, and the ones we do get to enjoy are at risk of being blown to smithereens via remote control planes, the rubinesque, rude slob that just damn near sat on me while yelling at her kid and scarfing down a chicken wing simultaneously is insignificant. Irritating, but insignificant.

When major media outlets (called so, because they give us irregular news they think we want at wholesale prices) is softer on criminals than the judges that convict them, the nutjob walking through the train trying to sell cookies out of a foil pan actually cheers me up.

When people honestly believe that the career of a sports player is a greater loss than the innocence of a child, and the resignation of a Nazi pedophile is a bigger news story than being openly threatened with a nuclear strike, it's time to speak up.

This is why I rant, and you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment