Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Damn The Torpedoes!

What's with all this "Let go and let god" shit lately?
Let me tell you something: That's really fucking irresponsible.
Don't let go and let god. Own your shit. Hold yourself accountable. There's no reason for anyone to decide that it's okay to just roll over, and let their imaginary friend handle shit.

It's not okay.

It's lazy, and inconsiderate.

Here's the thing; if my wife were in an accident, and I found out that the person who ran her down decided to let go, and let god when they lost control of their vehicle, or "let Jesus take the wheel" (Which is stupid, because if he existed, he died almost 2,000 years before that car was made), there would be a very distinct possibility of yours truly serving an exorbitantly long jail term with no possibility of parole.

People, you need to start realizing that you can not just expect shit to happen, and chalk it up to the will of a sky genie. WAKE UP!

You're in charge of your life. You get one. ONE. You don't get a mulligan. there are no do-overs. If you want good things to happen, you need to get the fuck out there, unclasp your hands, and make them happen. If bad shit happens, it isn't "god's will." There's a non-zero chance that it isn't even the fault of any one discernible person. Reflect on your mistakes. Own them. Hold yourself accountable, learn from your missteps, and move the fuck on, having learned (ideally) from those faux pas.

I'll make you a deal:

Pray to me.

No, seriously. try it. offer the prayers you would normally offer to the clouds to me, and I'll even go one step further. there's an Email link on this page. You can comment, or even Email me your prayers.

Why?

Well for starters, I'm a real person. I'll actually see them. Hell, I'll even respond. Second, but probably most importantly, if I can, I will actually see what I can do to help. I'm relatively certain that your prayers to me will be answered with the same or better results.

Just try it... You don't even have to say "amen."

Meanwhile, I'll be here DOING stuff. I'm not letting go and letting anyone, let alone god. It's ridiculous to think that someone who allegedly created the whole of the universe is going to be moved to action by and for you alone. It's arrogant to think that you're so important, and it's just plain irresponsible to blatantly refuse to take action based on your perception of "his will."

Full speed ahead!

14 comments:

  1. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with you. It's about damn time someone said that. Also, are you accepting prayers from witches as well as "which fucking way was I going"ers? Because I'll bite:

    Dear Evil (some things never change),

    I'm trying to get more readers for my blog. Now, since I don't think I'm so important or irresponsible that I'll blatantly refuse to take action based on my perception of Evil's will: I have begun directing readers to said blog. I am careful to tag and categorize each post accordingly, and I filled out the about section of my blog. I have also begun editing posts from further back, one at a time. And I take the advice and suggestions of my readers into account. Logically, it seemed wise at the time to begin my blog with the business equivalent of a "soft opening" but now I have begun to advertise it, and will continue to gradually step up such measures. My blog is mostly about sex, spirituality, and kink -- with a little gothic lifestyle thrown in for bad measure. Any assistance you see fit to offer is much appreciated. Thank you, and as I will, so it is done. The url is: http://shadowslut.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All prayers of any kind, from any denomination of any mytholog... oops... I mean supersti... er... religion... are welcome. My will be done. Prayer granted.

      Delete
    2. Eh, tomato, tomatoe. Let it be known that atheists have now proven themselves to be at least as capable of answering my prayers as my perception of my Gods are. My faith in humanity has (at least temporarily) been restored. Despite the usual foaming of sarcasm from my mouth and fingers, I really mean that. Aside from denouncing my beliefs/mythologies, or doing something morally repugnant, such as voting for the Republican party or listening to Britney Spears -- do let me know if there is any way I can return the favor. I truly believe that regardless of WHAT people believe or don't believe, they will get a lot farther and make the world a better place by helping themselves and each other more than passively sitting back and waiting for (any kind) of a divine Hail Mary. My apologies, football reference -- basically play hot potato with the ball and pray.

      Delete
    3. All i ask in return is reciprocation. No blood sacrifices, no slaughter of innocents, and no stoning (in the archaic sense, anyway).

      Delete
    4. Partial reciprocation via the closest thing to a REAL devil there is -- a social networking site. In a few days, there will be complete reciprocation through a link and description on my blog. I'm giving it a few days so people have a chance to read a guest post from someone who CLAIMS they don't want any more readers. Thank you, kindly.
      Oh, and I'm SO glad I'm not a Christian. The only blood that is spilled is due to deviance, the only slaughter I agree with is the musical "Bring Your Daughter..." variety, and I'll have you know, all my stoning is strictly in the modern sense.

      Delete
  2. Ok, I'll bite too.

    Praises to the Shaggy Christ,

    I do not wish more followers for my blog. I tried that with facebook and it just succeeded in getting me overwhelmed with drama. So with my most recent attempt, I'm trying to keep the crowd small and relatively familiar. I would, however, appreciate the intelligent feedback and constructive criticism of someone whose opinion I value highly on my particular brand of scientific spirituality and general wackiness. You know the url. Again with the not wanting to mindlessly expand my follower count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm responding here to keep as closely to your original prayer as possible. I like it. I thoroughly enjoy the interesting alternative viewpoints. Aside from the very occasional typo (which are so small and infrequent that none come to mind at this moment), it's very solid. That being said, my one admonishment is that if you should find yourself wanting to write for an audience, you might do well the keep the posts shorter. Do multi-part arcs, and find natural stopping points. Bear in mind that most people who browse these crazy things are doing so on their lunchbreak, or to cure a momentary boredom. My personal opinion is that you ought to just keep doing what you're doing. Don't modify your style or purpose in any way for the sake of readership. That's what makes it authentic, and much like a circle of friends, you'll slowly build a base of small, yet dedicated readers, rather than a large base of fair-weather ones. Ultimately, that will result in more satisfying exchanges. Shaggy Christ - 2, God - 0.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your insights. It is my ultimate goal to have "a base of small, yet dedicated readers, rather than a large base of fair-weather ones" and I appreciate your views on how to best make that happen. So I'll "keep it [sur]real". But I will also keep your other advice in mind should I at some future point have the desire (and courage) to increase my followers beyond a close knit group of like-minded individuals.

      Delete
  3. I swear when I woke up this morning, "Let's comment on every fucking blog post I read today" was not the plan. However... I can't resist the temptation to pray (ooh... "temptation to pray" - I like that).

    Dear... whomever you are (NOT the first time I've begun a prayer in such a manner),
    I usually pray using the Mormon pattern of prayer (as I call it) - which is address (done), thank, ask, and close. Obviously I won't be closing this prayer in the name of Jesus Christ, for though I am a blasphemer, that may be taking it just a bit too far, in blasphemy toward the one and only god (or something like that) and toward you.

    Also, I guess I'm not really thanking either. Wait! I've got it! Thanks for this blog. I really like what I'm reading. I'm not really the blog type, though I sort of have one myself. But I like this blog. One of the benefits I've realized lately, out of increased contact with a certain enigmatic friend, is the finding of blogs that are actually worth reading, and apparently, commenting on, as well! So, thank you, and extra thanks I give to another commenter.

    Well, that's the end of the thanks portion... not sure what to ask for. Then again, I'm a big believer in the idea that sometimes you don't need to ask for anything, especially if you can't think of anything. When it comes to personal prayer, there is NOTHING wrong with simply praying thanks.

    So, thanks!

    In... erm... someone's name, I guess. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accept your thanks and hereby bless your face in the name of The Shaggy Christ (That being whomever I am).

      Delete