Sunday, December 23, 2012

Solve For Why



Last year, I did a rather short, yet not necessarily sweet post about X-mas titled Solve For X. If you haven't understood yet, yes, this is a companion piece. Rather than go through the same ridiculous drudgery of yet again trying to explain that it doesn't fucking matter what you wish someone this holiday season, as long as it's well, I think I'll simply offer some food for thought.

"...administering medicine to the dead" and all that.

Do you wish people Merry Christmas? Good. That's very nice of you.
Do wish them a Happy Hannu... channu... chana... festival of lights? Good. That's nice as well.
Do wish them a Happy Kwanzaa? Also nice.
Joyous solstice? Nice.
Fun Saturnalia? Nice.

And guess what? Happy Holidays? Also a very nice thing to wish someone.

I guess the point is: STOP FUCKING WHINING ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE SAY! Seriously, the appropriate response to any sentiment that can be easily interpreted as " I wish pleasantries for you and your family at this time of year, and bear no ill will toward you" is "thank you."

A simple "thank you."

That's all that's required.

Many people see fit to correct you if you wish them the wrong thing. Many want to provide you with an in depth dissertation that tediously meanders through all their reasoning (whether backed up by solid arguments, or not) as to why what they want you to say is the correct form of greeting. I know this is decidedly uncharacteristic of me, but it truly, honestly, absolutely does not matter a single half of an iota what words someone uses to wish you well.

You're missing the point.

The point is that they are wishing you well. They aren't trying to tell you that 2+2= π, they are offering you good tidings. Period.

The proper response is "thank you."

Or "you as well."

Or "same to you."

Hell, even "ditto" is better than some hipster looking askance at you while seething about what you should have said, beard dripping with self-righteous douchebaggery.

This season... and I mean this with all sincerity... this season I truly do wish the best for each and every one of you. Whatever your preferred celebration is titled, I want you to have a good one, or a merry one, or a happy one, or a joyous one, or a pleasant one.

In other words: At this time of year, when many people are celebrating many things, each in their own way, I wish no harm or ill will toward you and yours.

I'm not saying that won't change later, or next year, or next decade. Hell, I might want some of you to take a long walk off a short cliff later, who knows. As for right now, however, and in the foreseeable future, I thank each and every one of you readers from the bottom of my evil, black heart, and I wish you the best. Whatever that best is to you.

You're welcome.

8 comments:

  1. Couldn't of said it better myself....I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently some people think we should first ask them what their religion/holiday-concern is, and then respond appropriately. It's just not good enough to wish them well. Well said sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award.I know: It's a chain-letter, blogger style. It's alarming to realize EXACTLY how many hours it can take to come up with eleven facts about yourself. It's mildly nerve-wracking to make sure all the links work properly. It's extremely nerve-wracking to come up with questions to ask other people.

    Know what else it is? Exposure. For your blog, and for the blogs of other people you read. It's also entertaining. Have fun: http://shadowslut.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/liebster-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all due respect: What the fuck is a Liebster Blog Award?

      Delete
  4. That's a mightily good question. I'm still working out the kinks myself. Near as I can figure, it can be construed in one of two ways:

    1. It's chain mail, sent through blogs. People nominate, and hence, send it to people whose blogs they read and enjoy.

    2. It's an award by bloggers, for bloggers. Everyone who is "nominated" is actually a recipient. So there are no winners or losers -- vastly different than high school.

    I figure it's a combination of the two. There are a veritable slew of these type of things, all with slightly different operating procedures. Basically, the purpose seems to be to plug blogs you like, while yours gets plugged -- and to rattle off information about yourself to the internet. Broken down:

    If you accept -- you do a blog post. In said post, you state eleven facts about yourself. You answer the questions the person who nominated you asked the people who they nominated. You nominate others by listing and linking to eleven other people whose blogs you read. You pop on over to their page and tell them so. And you list eleven questions to ask the people you nominated.

    If you need an out -- I've seen plenty of people say, "Thanks, but I don't participate in the blog awards."

    Also, sorry about the formatting of that last reply. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out, but I'm technologically challenged -- working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm honored by the idea, and not quite douchey enough to turn my nose up and give you the static derisive answer. In all honesty, though, I read very few blogs... Very, very few... Almost none, actually. I do this more for myyyyy own amusement and outlet, and it's awesome that I have a handful of regular readers that find my rambling amusing, but I literally don't know eleven people. I read three bogs in total, and even those ate rare. I'm afraid a sincere thank you will haver to suffice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understood and you're sincerely welcome. I made the "no derision" list? WOW. :)

      Delete