Monday, February 4, 2013

Disenfranchised

The superbowl is over!

Yay!

Now we can focus on some real, actual, important issues, right?

Right?

Don't get me wrong, I find the commercials amusing, but to be honest, I don't even know they're "superbowl commercials" until they make some list hosted by John Henson and are noted as such.

The funny thing is, I'm not one of these tragic hipsters that pretends to not like organized sports for some florid cause, either. I truly am not interested. I'm not sitting at home secretly watching the game on my Mac, while tweeting opposition from my iPhone.

You know what I watched last night? Cops on G4, followed by a netflix marathon of Animal Hoarders.

Professional athletes are too soft, too coddled, and too exalted anymore, and it's a damned shame.
I used to enjoy sports. I've played football, soccer, basketball, and baseball, and been satisfied with being mediocre at all of them. I've even wrestled, boxed, kickboxed, and grappled, and been perfectly satisfied with doing fairly well. At no time when I was engaged in these sports did the idea of making billions of dollars drive me. I actually enjoyed the sport. I think that's what we've lost.

Picture a 1985 Mike Singletary against any linebacker today...

Pro athletes are protected by entourages and body guards, and teams of suits all looking to protect their investment. You want to see real sportsmanship, look at amateur and semi pro circuits.

We don't have professional athletes anymore, we have sponsored cash cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment