Monday, March 11, 2013

Vortex

Well, we've sprung forward again (at least those of us who observe DST have...not naming names...Indiana). As it's Monday, I fully expect to see a litany of complaints about how, despite this time adjustment phenomenon happening twice a year all our lives, some people just can't cope.

If I'm being honest (and I do try to make it a point to be) I really can't wrap my head around the idea that some people find themselves thrown off kilter semi-annually, year after year, all because of adjusting a clock. No one's fucking with the space-time continuum, it's resetting a clock, for fuck's sake! (Especially when the clocks on computers, cell phones, and cable boxes update automatically).

"But I lost an hour..."

No you didn't, it was simply moved back a few months. The hour isn't gone, it's just been put away for safe keeping, and you'll be glad for it in a few month's time, I assure you. Look at it as a sort of time 401k.

"but adjusting the clocks is annoying, and throws me off."

Ever had a power outage? You have to reset all the clocks after that, too, but there don't seem to be any pockets of inexplicably lost, wandering people every time that happens. Ever bought a new clock? They don't usually come preset (as a matter of fact, it's common practice to set round face clocks to 10:10, so they appear to be smiling).

You don't have to be a time lord to understand the mystery of daylight savings time. It's a very simple concept, and next time, if you adjust your clocks before you go to bed, you'll find you didn't lose an hour of sleep, you just stayed up an hour later.

Today being the day that it is, the simplest, best advice I can give you is this:

Don't panic!

2 comments: