Friday, April 4, 2014

Creationist Silliness: Salvation

Oh, dear...

Today's question  brings us to one of those typical Christian ripostes that just pisses me off.

"What purpose do you think you are here for if you do not believe in salvation?"
My dear butt-chinned, empty-eyed lady:

 Do you truly think that the only reason for your existence is to be saved? To grovel for mercy from some ethereal deity who created you for the sole purpose of worshiping him?

Isn't that dangerously close to idolatry?

If the aforementioned sky wizard is truly all-powerful, why does he need your approval?

Make no mistake about it; worship is indeed approval. it's approval on the grandest of scales. It's tantamount to saying, "Not only are you great, you're so great that I am beneath you."

Some would argue that that's humility. They are what I like to call "wrong."

That's not humility. That's being a sycophant. You're singular purpose for prostrating yourself is to gain an advantage. To get something. You're belittling and denigrating yourself exclusively for divine reward.

To be "saved."

Saved from what? Whom?

You don't need to be saved. Your "mortal soul" (don't even fucking get me started on that phrase) is not in danger. You are not broken. You are not unworthy of  the love of a magical being.

And if such a being were to deem you so (or even exist, for that matter), it would be he that was unworthy of your love. I've seen this kind of devotion before. Only in human-to-human terms, it's more commonly known as the cycle of abuse.

"He punishes me because he loves me. He just wants what's best for me. It's my fault, I shouldn't upset him like that. If I were better, he'd love me more."

These things sound ridiculous to some of us, no? Especially strong, independent women who have been encouraged to break free of the chains of antiquity and convention.

Why would you clap those chains back on?

Why would you, who would not say these things about a man who's physically present in your life, accept them as normal for one who's presence is debatable at best?

If you would not accept that someone who loves you might punch you in the face for displeasing them, why would you accept that someone who loves you might cast you into an eternal pit of damnation and fire for displeasing them?

Wake up.

You don't need salvation. You don't need divine forgiveness. You don't need to grovel and beg for the love of an imaginary being.

Save yourself. Forgive yourself. Love yourself.

You'll find you have a much greater purpose. I can't tell you what that is, though.

You have to find that for yourself.

And you can only do that if you look.

No comments:

Post a Comment