Thursday, May 29, 2014

Little Boxes

I'm a dude.

I have a penis.

I have a sexual preference for persons equipped with a vagina.

Seems simple, doesn't it?

It is.

I'm seeing a lot about "cisgender" these days. It's a word I'm unfamiliar with. A word I had to Google (yes, I just verbified Google, deal with it). You know what it means? It's a fancy term for people who identify with the gender they were born as. That's it. It's extraneous, superfluous language. That's it.

Stop yelling at your screens, all you non-cisgendered, non-transititioning, intersexed, unlabelables! You don't know my plight!

To be fair, I don't intimately know yours, either, but I do know this:

It doesn't fucking matter what parts you were born with, which you'd prefer, or whether or not you swap them out for something else. It's gotten to the point now where words are being coined and invented to describe things we've already described because some sociologist feels it's necessary to be sensitive to all the people who don't identify with the circumstances ascribed to a certain sect of people. The descriptions are getting more verbose, and the categories are getting narrower.

And they're bleeding the humanity out of the language drop by drop.

I'm no longer just a dude. I'm a non-transitioning, cisgendered, privileged, white person of the masculine persuasion, and as such (according to the internet), I'm likely a misogynist, and if I claim not to be, I'm only contributing to the problem by not owning my privileged, misogynist ways. I'm being insensitive. I'm not being tolerant enough.

I'm tired of it!

I'm plenty tolerant.

I'm so tolerant that I honestly don't give a half retarded fuck what bits and pieces you have, or whether you were born with them or had them modified. it's inconsequential. it's irrelevant in the big picture. I understand that barriers need to be broken down. I understand that intolerance does exist. I understand that I don't quite, nor will I EVER truly understand what you've gone through as a (cover your ears) transexual, or a homosexual, or a black person, or a woman. I acknowledge that misogyny exists, but so does misandry. I acknowledge that homophobia exists, but so does heterophobia. I acknowledge that racism still exists, but so does racism. Do you see where I'm going yet? Or are you still too angry about the fact that I dare to seek harmony by not dwelling on our differences.

That's the key, people.

Don't give these things power by letting them consume you.

I have transgendered friends. I have gay friends. I have straight friends. Hell, I even have Christian friends. We laugh the same. We converse the same. We have a lot of things in common. That's why these people are my friends.

You know what we don't do?

We don't shove each other into little labeled boxes. We don't get together and talk about how we don't understand each others' battles. We don't shut each other out by ostracizing each other because of our differences. We don't assign labels to one and other to identify ourselves by characteristics over which we have no control.

Yes...

There's a word for people like me...

That word is "Kris."


No comments:

Post a Comment