Friday, October 22, 2021

Honoring a Request

"How come you stopped writing?" She asked. The question cut deep. I nearly cried... nearly. The tiny inquiry forced me to face a pattern of mistakes I seem to not be able to stop making. I'm a Taurus, and well, most people know how bulls tend to run right toward red flags. It hurt. I tried to muster an explanation. I tried to figure out how to play it off. What's my go to? Ahhh, yes. Sarcasm. Self deprecation. Make a joke. 

No.

An answer is required, here. 

Why did I stop writing? What was the truth? 

"Someone broke me." Is all I could pitifully squeak out, but it is the truth... was the truth. And I had let it happen again. 

There was a beat that lasted for ages, then a simple question, "Can I ask of you something?" A failed attempt at distraction later (but yes, please, anything to let me stop mourning this lost shard of my core)... the plaintive request. The command. The necessary push. 

"Please write." Two words I didn't hear. Two words I didn't see. Two words I felt. They rumbled through my chest like a distant, yet quickly approaching thunderstorm. 

In all honesty, I'm panicking. I'm so out of practice. So, I'm dipping my toes back into this familiar water. I have to. 

"Please write."

I want to. 

I think I shall. 

Thank you. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you went through that. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were already broken when that relationship began, took another huge hit soon after, and never found the capacity to heal. I hope you find your healing. I hope your creative spark returns. The world needs to hear what you have to say. I wish you all of the good things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You stopped writing one week into your third marriage and had only made 5 posts that entire year. I don't think it's external forces at play. Perhaps you should look inside.

    ReplyDelete