Friday, February 22, 2013

Help

I have an amazing idea that I want to share with you all for two reasons: first, as always, I welcome your opinions and criticisms. Second, this blog is timestamped, in case anyone wants to try to nick it. Divine Intervention. It's not what you think. I'm not talking about exploring the mysterious and unexplained, spooky, near-mishaps that millions of us almost have every day. I'm not talking about instances in which people swear their magic sky wizard waves his wand and saves them from certain death while a few thousand poor African kids die of starvation, either...well, not entirely. I'm talking about jumping on the reality show bandwagon. That's right, folks, it's time to treat religious fervor like the mental handicap it is; like any other addiction that ostracizes people and destroys lives. Each week (there's enough of the problem to do this daily, just not enough problem solvers), my team and I will show the paralyzing struggle of a different fundamentalist nutbag (obviously at the request of a family member or friend who wants to see them get better), and try our damnedest to get them to see the harm they're doing and get help for their addiction. What I need is a crack team of trouble shooters and problem solvers. This is bound to be an exhausting experience. We'll have to have solid resources set up for aftercare, like any other addiction help show. I'd like to set up a support group, TA (theists anonymous), complete with sponsors. Imagine the meetings: "Hello, I'm Ken, and I'm a christian." (All): "Hi, Ken!" (Ken): "It's been six days since I last went to church, and I'm struggling to fight the urge to go tomorrow." (All): "You can do it, Ken!" (Ken): "Thanks. I picked up my bible yesterday... I... I couldn't help it, I just... It's a habit... ." (Group leader): "It's okay, Ken. Remember, we talked about this. It's not a habit, it's an addiction. Reading the bible is perfectly fine, but you have to think at the same time. It's when you read, and you just follow blindly that you run into problems. Can you do that, Ken? Can you make sure to think about what you're reading?" (Ken): "Yeah... Yeah, I think I can. No... I KNOW I can. I can do this!" (All): "You can do it, Ken!" (Group leader): "Well if no one else needs to speak, I have a treat for you this evening. I've brought along my DVD boxset of ' Through the Wormhole' with Morgan Freeman." One last note: this will be different than other interventions in the aspect that we won't just show our successes, but our failures as well. This will make it a true reality show.

2 comments: